The District of Sicamous is seeking applications from individuals interested in serving on the Volunteer Board of Directors to lead the new District of Sicamous Development Corporation.
The District of Sicamous Development Corporation was created by the District to assist in promoting business and tourism throughout Sicamous and surrounding area.
Priority projects for the District of Sicamous Development Corporation will include:
- A downtown redevelopment plan;
- Highway commercial development;
- Development of additional camping and recreational vehicle spaces in Sicamous and adjacent areas in order to encourage tourism;
- Development of waterfront lands on the Eagle River, Shuswap Lake, and Mara Lake;
- Identifying industries and businesses for relocation or start-up within Sicamous;
- Exploring potential partnerships with Splatsin, the Splatsin Development Corporation, the City of Enderby, and other public and private entities;
- Identifying potential partners to build an affordable housing complex in Sicamous and area; and
- Identifying potential partners to build a Community Wellness Centre in the downtown area.
Members of the Volunteer Board of Directors will meet quarterly (January, April, July and September) for up to two hours to assist with general oversight, policy development, project overview, and financial review. Board members will receive orientation to their responsibilities and legal duties, and are expected to actively participate in committees established by the Board. District of Sicamous Council will appoint Board members and the activities of the District of Sicamous Development Corporation will be supported by District staff.
The ideal applicants for the Volunteer Board of Directors will satisfy the following qualifications:
- Resident of Sicamous or surrounding area;
- Expertise and involvement in local business and/or tourism;
- Able to commit a minimum of three hours per month for a term of one or two years, with the possibility of renewal.
- You are not disqualified to serve as a director of a corporation under section 124 of the Business Corporations Act;
Interested and qualified individuals should apply by sending a brief letter of interest and résumé by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the following address:
Attn: Evan Parliament, Town Manager
District of Sicamous
446 Main Street
P.O. Box 219
Sicamous, BC V0E 2V0
Applications must be received by March 2, 2018 in order to be considered.