- Accessory buildings larger than 10 square meters
- Sundecks and patios more than 0.6 meters above grade
- Renovations requiring structural changes (e.g. door and window headers or foundation repairs)
- Plumbing fixture additions (e.g. toilets, vanities and showers)
- Roof membrane replacement (e.g. shingles or metal)
- Existing plumbing fixture replacements
- Non-structural renovations
- Fencing (Note: fence height is restricted under the zoning bylaw)
For properties zoned R-1&2 there are no restrictions on the area of a detached accessory residential building, rather the area of the building is governed by the maximum height, setbacks and site coverage regulations in the same zone.
For all other residentially zoned properties, the maximum size for a detached accessory residential building is 10 square meters or 904 square feet.
Single family dwelling
- Front: 6 meters
- Rear: 6 meters
- Sides: Sum of 5 meters with no dimension less than 2 meters
- Exterior side: 5 meters
Accessory residential building
- Front: 8 meters
- Rear: 1.5 meters
- Sides: 1.5 meters
- Exterior: 5 meters
The frost depth is 1.07 meters or 42 inches.
Based on average elevation, the ground snow load is 4kpa or 84psf.
To obtain a copy of the 2012 BC Building Code, you can contact the Queens Printer at 1-800-663-7867. A copy is available for viewing at the District of Sicamous (this copy must remain in our office).
The building permit for a single family dwelling is based on the value of construction.
- $100 for the first $1,000 of construction value
- $8 for each additional $1,000 of construction value up to $1,000,000
- $6.00 for each additional $1,000 of construction value greater than $1,000,000
For all other building permit fees refer to Part 3 of Fees and Charges Bylaw No. 740 or contact the Building Department at 250-836-2477.