Bylaws & Bylaw Enforcement


DISCLAIMER: While we attempt to keep our online bylaws and maps as current as possible, if it is critical that the most current information is obtained, please verify with the District's Corporate Officer.

For more information about District bylaws, please contact Corporate Services at 250-836-2477 or

Bylaw Enforcement

Bylaw Enforcement provides inspections and regulatory work related to the enforcement of District Bylaws. The overarching philosophy of Bylaw Enforcement Services is to achieve voluntary compliance through education and information.

How to Report a Bylaw Violation

  • The most efficient way to report a bylaw violation is by completing the online bylaw complaint form. Alternatively, you may download a complaint form or complete one in person at the District Office, Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
  • You may also submit a report by calling the Bylaw Enforcement Officer at 250-833-6952 or via email at

Submit a Bylaw Complaint

Bylaw Enforcement will require contact information in confidence (phone number, email, residential address) to follow-up on concerns, to provide a response and commence an investigation.


Contact the Bylaw Enforcement Officer at 250-836-2477 or email

John Moore, District Bylaw Enforcement Officer at the Sicamous Beach Park.
John Moore, District Bylaw Enforcement Officer at the Sicamous Beach Park.

John Moore has been the District of Sicamous Bylaw Enforcement Officer since the summer of 2020. He first started at the District as a temporary replacement, but when December of 2020 rolled around, it was clear that he was a good fit for the community and he was hired as the full-time officer.

"Working for the District with a focus on education before enforcement has allowed me to renew my passion for teaching," shared John. "Most violations are from a lack of understanding on the requirements of District bylaws."

John is a friendly face around town. He is always willing to speak with residents and visitors about the bylaws that are in place to make Sicamous a safe and welcoming community. He is an advocate for education over enforcement and has taken an active role in developing resources and initiatives to spread the word about the bylaws that are in effect within District boundaries. An example of this is the "Did You Know" bylaw series that is shared via the Bylaws & Bylaw Enforcement webpage and District social media channels.

When John is off the job, he spends as much time as possible outside working on his lawn and keeping the weeds down in the garden. Next time you see John around town, be sure to say hello and ask him any of your pressing bylaw questions!

The District of Sicamous accepts payments for tickets both online and in person.

In Person at Municipal Hall

Cash, debit or cheque payments are received during regular office hours. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding Statutory Holidays.

Online Banking

Search "Sicamous" as a payee and choose the Accounts Receivable option. This account number is the 7-digit alpha numeric number on your ticket.

By Mail

You may send your cheque or money order, payable to the District of Sicamous, to the address below. A receipt will not be sent back to you, so do not send cash in the mail.

District of Sicamous
446 Main Street, P.O. Box 219
Sicamous, BC V0E 2V0

Your payment must be accompanied by a copy of the ticket, or a note giving sufficient information to identify the ticket, including:

  • the ticket number;
  • your full name and mailing address;
  • the date of offence and the bylaw name and section of the offence.

If you dispute the allegation contained in the ticket you received, your dispute will be reviewed by a screening officer. If the dispute is approved, you will be notified by mail. If the notice is not approved and you continue to dispute the allegation, you or your agent will have to attend the Provincial Court of British Columbia for a hearing.

Notice of Dispute By Mail

If you wish to send your notice of dispute by mail, write to the following address:

District of Sicamous
446 Main Street, P.O. Box 219
Sicamous, BC V0E 2V0

Your notice of dispute should contain the following information:

  • the ticket number;
  • your full name and mailing address;
  • the date of offence and the bylaw name and section of the offence.

If these details are not provided, the notice of dispute may not provide sufficient information and you may be deemed not to have disputed the described offence.

Notice of Dispute In Person

You may deliver your notice of dispute to Municipal Hall. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding Statutory Holidays.

District of Sicamous
446 Main Street
Sicamous, BC V0E 2V0

You should bring your copy of the ticket and may be asked to fill out a notice of dispute form.

How much time do I have to dispute?

You have up to 14 days from the date of service shown on the ticket to deliver, have delivered or mail your notice of dispute.


Municipal Ticket Notice of Dispute

Did you know?

Everything listed below is available as a PDF HERE.

District of Sicamous Sign Bylaw No. 814, 2011 can be found HERE.

Why does the District of Sicamous need a Sign Bylaw?

  1. To encourage signage that is compatible with surroundings, appropriate to the activity, and expressive of the identity of individuals and the community.
  2. To protect the public from the effects of signs that may conflict with other signs or lights erected for the direction of vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
  3. To protect the public from the dangers of inferior construction and from the nuisances or hazards arising from improperly sited signs.
  4. To protect various sectors of the District from the effects of signs which may be inappropriate as to appearance, size, height, design, and location.
  5. To permit the proper identification of businesses within the District and to indicate the types and trade names of goods and services manufactured or sold on or off the premises.

Some frequently asked questions:

Q: Where can I find the Bylaw?
A: This Bylaw, along with other District Bylaws, can be found on our website at or by contacting the District at 250-836-2477.

Q: I am having a garage sale, can I put up signs? 
A: Yes, you can.

Q: Where can I put a sign?
A: On your property, on the District Right-of-Way, on bulletin boards

Q: Where can I NOT put a sign?
A: Hydro poles, fire hydrants, or over street signs.

Q: I have started a home-based business and want a sign. Do I need a permit?
A: Yes, you need a permit for this and a District Business licence as well. Visit the District Office or call 250-836-2477 for more information.

Q: I am from out of town and want to advertise my business in Sicamous, can I do that?
A: Yes, you can, however there is a little more to it than just putting up a sign, please call Bylaw Enforcement and we will be happy to review the requirements with you.

Everything listed below is available as a PDF HERE.

District of Sicamous Outdoor Burning Bylaw No. 452, 2002 can be found HERE.

Why does the District of Sicamous need an Outdoor Burning Bylaw?

  1. To ensure that outdoor fires are burned in a safe and controlled manner.
  2. To prohibit the burning of noxious and toxic materials.
  3. To ensure backyard fires are of a size small enough to be easily extinguished.
  4. To ensure fires do not become a nuisance to the neighbouring properties.

Some frequently asked questions:

Q. Where can I find the Bylaw?
A: This Bylaw, along with other District Bylaws, can be found here or by contacting the District at 250-836-2477.

Q: Can I burn during a Provincial fire ban? 
A: No, our Bylaw is subject to Provincial restrictions.

Q: Can I burn leaves and yard trimmings? 
A: Yes, however they are restricted to the first two weeks of April and the last two weeks in October.

Q: My yard waste fire is smoky how do I prevent that? 
A: Start your fire with clean seasoned wood to ensure a hot fire and add small amounts of damp materials periodically to keep it hot.

For more information on this or any other District Bylaw please contact Bylaw Enforcement at 250-836-2477 or

Everything listed below is available as a PDF HERE.

District of Sicamous Water Regulations, Rental and Connection Charge Bylaw No. 185, 1995 can be found HERE.

Why is there a Water Regulations Bylaw?

  • The Bylaw provides for clean potable water and the expansion of the water system
    to include all properties in Sicamous.
  • It regulates water use during peak seasons to ensure safe reservoir levels within the
  • It outlines penalties and rates for those guilty of infraction or in breach of the

Things to know:

  • A property owner could have their water service turned off or disconnected if they
    are in violation of water regulation, zoning or business licensing bylaws.
  • It is unlawful to interfere, meddle or tamper with District property relating to the
    District of Sicamous water system.
  • Water restrictions are an annual occurrence between May 1st and September 30th
    and violations are restrictions could result in fines.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Where can I find the Water Regulations, Rental and Connection Charge Bylaw No. 185, 1995?
A: Bylaws are available online at and District Hall (446 Main Street)

Q: How often can I use a sprinkling system on my lawn?
A: Each year, between the dates of May 1st and September 30th, Stage 1 Water Use Restrictions are in effect. This means that even numbered houses may water on even numbered days and odd numbered houses may water on odd numbered days. When necessary for the conservation of water or the protection of the District Water Supply, the Operations Manager may amend the effective period of time for Stage 1 or bring into effect a Stage more restrictive than Stage 1. The permitted frequency of lawn watering is dependent on the Stage that is in effect.

Q: Does the same schedule apply to automated sprinkling systems?
A: Yes. Automatic Watering (sprinkler or irrigation) follows the same schedule with even numbered houses watering on even numbered days and odd numbered houses watering on odd numbered days during Stage 1 Water Restrictions.

Q: When can I use a handheld hose to water my lawn?
A: During Stage 1 Water Restrictions, a handheld hose can be used any day at any time for both residential and non-residential uses.

Q: Is there ever an exception to these regulations?
A: Yes. If your property requires sprinkling on a regular basis solely for the purpose of
maintaining and stabilizing newly seeded area or new turf. However, property owners
must also take steps to conserve water whenever possible. The Water Use Restrictions do not apply to Agriculture, Fire Use Protection, Sports Fields, Cemeteries and Spray Parks.

For more information, please contact the District's Bylaw Enforcement Officer at:
250-836-2477 |

Everything listed below is available as a PDF HERE.

District of Sicamous Traffic Bylaw No. 778, 2011 can be found HERE.

Why is there a Traffic Bylaw?

The District of Sicamous’ Traffic Bylaw regulates activities on municipal roadways for the protection of public safety and to ensure traffic flow is maintained in the community.

Things to Know:

  • The District Bylaw Officer enforces the regulations set out in the Traffic Bylaw.
  • Issuing municipal tickets is the primary enforcement measure for bylaw violations.
  • The registered vehicle owner is responsible for the ticket regardless of who was driving the vehicle at the time the ticket was issued.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What are the most common traffic infractions?

Bylaw Enforcement patrols the community daily to ensure drivers follow parking regulations. Posted signs notify drivers about parking regulations. Bylaw Enforcement also informs motorists how to park legally when there is no sign. Common parking infractions include:

  • Parking too close to fire hydrants, driveways, and intersections.
  • Parking in “No Parking” zones.
  • Parking a vehicle against the flow of traffic.
  • Parking or stopping in “No Stopping” zones (parks, school areas, and residential zones).
  • Parking in areas that impede access for emergency vehicles.

What are the most common fines?

Obstruction of Traffic    $100
Parking contrary to signage $100
Parking on a sidewalk $100
Parking within 5m of a fire hydrant $300

Can I dispute a parking ticket?

Yes. Ticket disputes must be submitted in writing within 14 days of the date the ticket was issued. Please contact the District Office at 250-836-2477 or email for details.

Why was my vehicle impounded?

Any ticketed vehicle may be impounded. The most common reason for towing a vehicle is to uphold public safety; however, other reasons may include:

  • Demand for the location.
  • Inconvenience to others.
  • The ticket history of the vehicle.
  • The likelihood the vehicle will remain long enough to be towed.

How do I recover my vehicle if it has been towed?

Ben’s Towing (729 Trans-Canada Frontage) and Eagle Rock Towing (1233 Titus Road) handle towing requests for the District of Sicamous. You may contact the District Office or Sicamous RCMP Detachment to confirm the location. Impound fees are the responsibility of the registered owner(s).

Everything listed below is available as a PDF HERE.

District of Sicamous Animal Control Bylaw No. 1013, 2022 can be found HERE.


Animal Control Bylaw No. 1013, 2022 provides standards for animal control and protection within the District. The new comprehensive bylaw was adopted in April 2022, replacing Dog Control Bylaw No. 228, 1997. This bylaw is meant to promote quality of life, civic responsibility, and positive relationships between neighbours in the municipality.


  • All pets must wear an identification tag with the name and contact information of their owner.
  • Animals must not be left unattended in vehicles between April 30th and October 1st of each year.
  • Owners must ensure their pets do not create a nuisance. Animals may not disturb the peace, quiet, rest, enjoyment, comfort, or convenience of individuals in their  immediate vicinity.


Does the Animal Control Bylaw Regulate cats?

Yes, the new Bylaw regulates the care and control of all pets within the municipality. It is the responsibility of owners to ensure their pets do not create a nuisance for neighbours.

Is there a limit to the number of household pets you may have?

Yes, there is a limit of three (3) dogs per household unless there is a licenced animal-related business located on the premise. This includes retail pet stores, veterinary clinics, animal shelters, kennels, and animal-breeding businesses.

Are dogs allowed to be off leash in public areas within the community?

Dogs must always be on a leash unless they are on their owners’ property or within designated off-leash areas within the District, such as the Sicamous Dog Park (1450 Sicamous Solsqua Rd). When in public areas, dogs must be on leash, and they are not allowed to travel beyond the paved pathways.

Are there instances where an animal may be seized by the Bylaw Enforcement Officer?

Yes, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer may seize an animal that is at large or is deemed to be a “dangerous dog”. The definition of a “dangerous dog” is outlined within the bylaw.

Can animal owners be fined?

Yes, animal owners may be fined for offences outlined within the Animal Control Bylaw No. 1013, 2022. See the full list of fines by visiting the Bylaws & Bylaw Enforcement webpage on

How do I make a bylaw complaint regarding animals?

Complete the complaint form online or in person at Municipal Hall. If possible, please provide the address of the owner and a picture of the animal. This allows Bylaw  Enforcement to confirm the identity of the animal in question.

For more information, please contact the District's Bylaw Enforcement Officer at:
250-836-2477 |

Seeing low-speed zero-emission vehicles buzzing around town is a unique Sicamous experience. Here is some more information on the authorization of these vehicles in Sicamous!

Why is there a zero-emission vehicle bylaw?

  • The bylaw promotes the use of environmentally-friendly transportation alternatives.
  • The use of neighbourhood zero-emission vehicles promotes inclusivity and mobility within our community.
  • The bylaw provides alternative transportation options in Sicamous.

Things to know:

  • A neighbourhood zero-emission vehicle is a low-speed electric vehicle (LSV) that has a top speed of 40 kilometres per hour.
  • It must meet Transport Canada safety regulations and bear the National Safety Mark.
  • LSVs must have headlights, turning lights, brake lights, rear-view mirrors, parking brakes, a windshield and seat belts.
  • Neighbourhood zero-emission vehicles can be operated on any highway in the District with a speed limit of 50 km/h or less and can cross a highway with a speed limit of 80 km/h or less.
  • Zero-emission vehicles must drive in the right-most lane unless making a left-hand turn or passing another vehicle.
  • This bylaw does not permit the use of golf carts on District highways. Neighbourhood golf carts are only permitted in designated municipalities within the Motor Vehicle Act RegulationsThere are two in B.C. - Chase and Qualicum Beach.

Additional Resources:

Did you know that Sicamous has a Fireworks Bylaw?

District of Sicamous Fireworks Bylaw No. 963, 2019

Why is there a Fireworks Bylaw?

  • The Bylaw protects our community from the misuse of fireworks which can result in fires.
  • The Bylaw helps firefighters respond to calls safely without the danger of fireworks being stored in vehicles or structures.
  • The Bylaw ensures that those who are using fireworks are properly permitted professionals who understand the appropriate safety precautions.

Things to know:

  • This Bylaw prohibits the sale, possession and discharge of fireworks without a permit.
  • The Bylaw defines fireworks as "devices that explode or burn to produce visual or sound effects." It does not prohibit flares and similar devices used by motorists, railroads, police or other agencies for signaling purposes.
  • The violation of this Bylaw is a ticketable offence for each day it is violated.

When are fireworks permitted in Sicamous?

A permit will only be issued to a recognized organization or group for a celebration such as Canada Day, New Years or Halloween. The holder of the permit must take all necessary steps to ensure the safety and security of members of the public attending the fireworks event and those involved in the display.

Please leave the fireworks to the professionals!

Did you know Sicamous has a Wharf Regulation Bylaw?

District of Sicamous Wharf Regulation Bylaw No. 935, 2017

Why is there a Wharf Regulation Bylaw?

  • The Bylaw ensures that District-owned wharfs are preserved for public use and enjoyment.
  • The Bylaw advocates for the safety of residents when using the public wharfs.
  • The Bylaw ensures that the public wharfs are an enjoyable place for residents and visitors to dock their boats during the day.

Things to know:

  • Public wharfs are mostly used for the loading and unloading of guests and supplies.
  • Overnight moorage at public wharfs is prohibited. Vessels cannot be moored at a District wharf between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
  • The Bylaw prohibits swimming within 50 metres of a District wharf.
  • Vessels may not be refueled or serviced at a District wharf.
  • The Bylaw Officer may remove or impound any vessel that is found in violation of the Bylaw. A payment fee of $100 plus $180 per 24 hour period will be charged to the owner of the vessel.

Why can't I moor my vessel overnight?

Most vessels that are moored overnight at the public wharfs remain moored for more than a single night. By prohibiting overnight moorage, the Bylaw ensures that there is ample space available for public use during the day. Visitors can dock their vessels on public wharfs and walk into town to see all that Sicamous has to offer!