Fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials are preventable. Please keep these tips in mind:
- Don't throw cigarette butts out of a vehicle window.
- Fully extinguish cigarette butts before disposing of them safely.
- Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away.
- Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash or on the ground.
- Use deep, sturdy ashtrays with a wide, stable base that are difficult to tip over and set ashtrays on something sturdy and difficult to ignite, such as a table.
- Discard cigarettes and ashes in an unburnable (and unmeltable) can filled with sand.
E-cigarettes present a different hazard. E-cigarettes can explode and cause fires. Be mindful of proper use and storage of E-cigarettes.