DOS Rat Prevention and Control Measures
Posted On: Aug 19, 2021
Tags: Discover , Featured , Live Here , Your Municipality
If you locate rats in your neighbourhood, please inform District of Sicamous Bylaw at 250-836-2477 or firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assess the situation and focus control measures in those areas.
- Inspect the outside of your home for easy access points. Seal any cracks and crevices with silicone caulk, paying special attention to areas where utility pipes enter the structure. Remember, mice can enter homes through holes the size of a dime and rats through holes the size of a quarter.
- Fill larger gaps from inside your home with pieces of steel wool, as pests are deterred by the
roughness of the steel fibers, especially rodents who are usually unable to gnaw through the
- Screen attic vents and openings to chimneys, which could serve as potential entryways.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the basement’s foundation and
- Properly landscape around the home to avoid providing pest harbourage sites. Keep shrubbery
trimmed and ensure mulch is kept at least one third of a metre (15 inches) from the foundation.
- Store firewood and building materials at least 6 metres (20 feet) from buildings.
- Eliminate outdoor water sources such as leaking pipes, hoses, bird baths, and pet water bowls.
- Keep pet and other feeds stored indoors or in rodent proof containers.
- Keep household garbage to a minimum and store in rodent proof containers.
- Clean up yard waste, debris and fallen fruits promptly, including maintaining compost piles by
- Snap Traps: Are the most effective when used properly.
- Live Traps: Are a good option if you have a safe and humane method for disposal of caught animals.
Traps can be purchased at retailers within the community.
- The District of Sicamous does not promote or utilize poison for rodent control due to potential health risks to animals and humans.
- Relocation is not recommended as re-infestation will occur.