District buildings will now display 9-8-8 Suicide Crisis Helpline information.
On January 24, council passed a resolution to endorse the 9-8-8 crisis line initiative and display the 9-8-8 information poster in all municipal buildings.
The three-digit suicide prevention hotline was brought to Canada three years ago, following a motion from Member of Parliament for Cariboo-Prince George, Todd Doherty.
Suicide affects people of all ages and backgrounds, but there are ways you can help. By taking the time to understand, you can eliminate stigma and provide support when people need it most.
- 11 people die by suicide every day in Canada.
- 11.8% of people in Canada have had thoughts of suicide at some point in their lives.
- For every person who dies by suicide, as many as 135 people can be impacted by the loss.
You can help spread the word about 9‑8‑8 and encourage more people to reach out for help when they need it.
- Print the 9-8-8 poster to put up in your local community
- Ask your local businesses and organizations to display the 9-8-8 poster and/or 9-8-8 wallet card
- Post about 9-8-8 on social media and tag 9-8-8
Visit the 9-8-8 Suicide Crisis Helpline Website to learn more.