The weatherman has spoken and it’s looking like extreme heat in Sicamous this week. Now is the time to prepare yourself and your home for a challenging week of heat.
PREPARE YOUR HOME.
- Find the coolest space in your home and prepare to sleep there if the space gets too warm.
- Identify air-conditioned spaces in your community and plan to spend time there.
- Install blinds or window shades to keep the sunshine out.
- Practice keeping windows closed during the day and open during the night.
- Test out your fans or air-conditioning units
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.
- Stay hydrated! Focus on drinking lots of water, even when you are not thirsty.
- Take it easy and avoid intense activities in the heat.
- Stay out of the sun and spend time in shaded or cool spaces.
CHECK-IN ON OTHERS.
- Reach out to community members, family and friends.
- We’re in this together!
For more information on how to stay safe in extreme heat, visit www.interiorhealth.ca/stories/summer-safety-tips-protect-yourself-summer-heat.